Wednesday 13 November 2013

We: Riding on Luck

I was brought up in India during the 90's. Therefore, I claim that our Generation is the luckiest among all Indians.
One may ask what made me write a blog about something so vague and also alongside making an absurd claim. Below I've tried to substantiate it to the best of my capacity.

1) TV: It was a time when the Idiot Box had still not invaded the middle-class homes. Unlike today, when most of the kids huddle up in front of the TV Sets watching mindless cartoons all day, we fled our homes at the earliest opportunity to go play out in the open.

2) Play: This was one area where as kids, we researched the most on. Whenever we went to our native places and to other relatives' places, our foremost dharma was to learn the prevalent games in that area and bring them back with us to our communities. Compare the stats. You'll find that the rates of obesity was much lower during the 90's. The best part was of course the virtues we learnt at play. Teamwork, dedication, perseverance, etc. I still remember playing Hide & Seek, I Spy, Seven Stones, etc. Unlike the games on Xbox and PSP, we didn't just play for ourselves. We played and strove to make our team win.
The single saddest thing I find in today's upbringing is that the centre of our lives has shifted from the society onto just the individual. One single thought dominates every sphere of our living: What's in it for me?

3) Technevolution: Again, we are few of the lucky generations to have used both Dropbox and the floppy drives. Again, a time when Technology, specifically Computing was making great strides in India. Home computing for every household, the boom in IT, we have seen it all. I agree today's digital classrooms involving 3D models and videos are a lot more informative and interactive, but still... I can proudly say we were taught with board and chalk. Hell, we have also used slates in kindergarten !

With the best childhood possible and the advancement of technology when we actually need and would be using it, I can easily claim that we are a Generation riding on luck.
Virtues + Technological Supremacy = Perfect Combo !

1 comment:

  1. Well written and very true. cheers to our generation! we got lucky. :p

    ReplyDelete